About Amistad International
Amistad International began in 1980 when Karen Hanson Kotoske raised enough money from family and friends to provide food and medical care for several Huichol villages in Mexico’s Sierra Madre Occidental. Since then Amistad has expanded around the globe, to India, Africa, and Asia.
Our Amistad philosophy:
- Assist a limited number of worthy projects, run by creative, compassionate people with a high degree of responsibility and accountability
- Stretch the money we receive to help as many as we can, using only a minimal amount for foundation expenses
- Maintain personal relationships with both donors and project leaders
- Communicate to our donors frequently about the effect their gifts are having
- Let our donors help us to solve problems and work on rewarding projects